Status of residence for same-sex marriage between foreigners

Same-sex marriage is not recognized in Japan, but it is recognized in some countries overseas.
When a couple who has been legally married in a foreign country resides in Japan, if one of them has a status of residence in Japan, the same-sex spouse will be granted a status of residence of "Designated Activities".
In this case, both parties must be legally married in their respective home countries.
However, in the case of a same-sex marriage between a Japanese and a foreigner, even if the marriage was validly established in the foreigner's home country, the foreigner's spouse is not allowed a status of residence of "Designated Activities".
Since the marriage is not validly established in Japan, the status of residence of "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" or "Dependent" cannot be granted.