For foreigners who have graduated from Japanese universities, etc., to get a job in the service industry or manufacturing business

One of the statuses of residence for foreigners who have graduated from a Japanese university and want to continue working in Japan is "Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services."
However, this “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services” status of residence does not allow you to work in the service industry or in the manufacturing industry.
However, for foreigners who have graduated from a four-year university or graduate school in Japan, if they meet the following requirements, they will be granted the status of residence of "Designated Activities" (Japanese university graduate), which allows them to engage in such work.

  1. Applicants must have graduated from a Japanese university (excluding junior colleges) or completed a graduate school course and been conferred a degree.
  2. Receiving a remuneration equal to or greater than the remuneration received when a Japanese person is engaged.
  3. In addition to the Japanese used in everyday situations, the ability to understand Japanese used in a wide range of situations, including Japanese that is logically somewhat complicated, is proven by examinations and other methods.
  4. Applicants must be recognized to utilize the broad knowledge and applied skills they have acquired at a Japanese university or graduate school.

In addition, regarding 3 above, it is necessary to have a score of 480 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N1 or the BJT Business Japanese Language Proficiency Test.
In addition, regarding 4 above, it is necessary that the work requires two-way communication with others using Japanese.
Therefore, it is not permitted for work that only performs work based on work instructions from employers.