Status of residence for foreigners who have been offered a job after graduating from a Japanese university and will stay in Japan until they find a job

Foreign nationals who have studied at a Japanese university may change their status of residence to "Designated Activities" (job hunting) if they are looking for a job after graduation.
If the foreigner has been offered a job, but there is still some time before he/she can find a job, and he/she wishes to continue to stay in Japan, he or she may apply for a "Designated Activities" status of residence for the purpose of staying until the time of employment.
However, the following requirements must be met.

  • Within 1 year after receiving a job offer, and within 1 year and 6 months after graduation

Even if you get a job offer while you are at university, but there is a period of time before you actually get a job, you will be granted this "Designated Activities" status of residence if you meet the above requirements.