Foreigners residing in Japan must carry their residence card with them at all times.

A residence card will be issued to foreigners residing in Japan for a medium to long term.
A foreigner who has been issued a residence card must always carry the residence card and present it when requested to do so by a police officer or other authorized authorities.
Violation of this may result in fines.
If you are in the process of renewing your residence card and have submitted your residence card, you must carry a document stating that fact.
If you ask an administrative scrivener to carry out the procedure, the certified administrative procedures legal specialist will give you a deposit receipt for your residence card, so please carry it with you.
Children under the age of 16 are not obligated to carry a residence card.