Hiring a Thai Cook

Normally, when hiring a foreign chef with a status of residence of “Skilled Labor”,that foreigner must have at least 10 years of work experience.
However, in the case of Thai cuisine, the required number of years of work experience is reduced based on the provisions of Annex 7 of the Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement.
Specifically, by satisfying the following requirements, if you have work experience of 5 years or more, you will be granted the status of residence of "Skilled Labor".

  • Must have acquired a certificate regarding skill level as a chef of elementary level or higher
  • Having received a reasonable amount of remuneration as a Thai chef in Thailand during the year immediately preceding the date of application for entry and temporary stay in Japan.