When a foreigner continues to work in Japan after graduating from a Japanese university

I think that the status of residence for foreigners working in Japan is often "Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services".
In the case of this "Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services" status of residence, it is not possible to engage in work that mainly involves service work or manufacturing work.
However, foreigners who have graduated from a Japanese university, etc., can get these jobs by meeting the following requirements.

  1. Must have graduated from a four-year university or completed a graduate school in Japan.
    Graduates of junior colleges and vocational schools are not eligible.
  2. Receiving a remuneration equal to or greater than the remuneration received when a Japanese person is engaged.
  3. In addition to the Japanese used in everyday situations, the ability to understand Japanese used in a wide range of situations, including Japanese that is logically somewhat complicated, must be demonstrated through tests or other means.
    Regarding Japanese proficiency, it is necessary to have a score of 480 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N1 or the BJT Business Japanese Proficiency Test.
  4. The content of the work must be recognized as utilizing the broad knowledge and applied skills acquired at a Japanese university or graduate school.

If you are thinking of continuing to work in Japan after graduating from a Japanese university or graduate school, please contact our office.