What is the “special period” in the status of residence?

The residence card has a period of stay, except for some statuses of residence.
Therefore, if you wish to continue staying in Japan after your period of stay expires, you will need to apply for an extension of your period of stay.
If you apply for an extension of period of stay but do not receive a result by the expiration date of your period of stay, you may continue to stay in Japan until the result is obtained or until the expiration date of your status of residence at the time of application, whichever comes first.
This period is called the "special period".
This "special period" applies not only to applications for extension of period of stay, but also to applications for change of status of residence.